Sooo much stuff!
I recently moved from a 2 bedroom apartment to a house, and am surprised at how quickly the place is filling up with STUFF! We've been here less than a year and already my husband and I are spending our precious weekends clearing out and organising our THINGS. Shopping, online ordering, collecting packages, returning items and managing our belongings are joyless tasks that just suck up our free time.
So, I have made a new year's resolution to buy less. After seeking advice from friends who had made similar commitments, I have decided to try to buy NOTHING NEW for one year. I want to see how I can change my habitual behaviours; to learn to use and love the things I already have; to repair things that are broken instead of throwing them out. If I must buy something, I'll try to find something pre-loved.
I hope that by changing my consumption habits, I will:
- reduce the natural resources I consume
- reduce the amount of waste I produce
- reduce the number of slaves that work for me
- increase my skills (by learning how to repair, up-cycle, etc.)
- increase time spent doing things instead of money spent buying things
- have more time to just be, with my family and friends
You can follow my efforts here on my blog and also on instagram. I hope we can inspire each other and learn together.